I have almost always been fat. Except during the war season and when I was ill with jaundice.
The problem with being fat is all the body-shaming, mockery, loneliness that goes with it. You cannot do what a regular person can do.
The problem compounds when your own self-image is low. I would project myself as much bigger than what I was. In my head I was already 10-20 kgs heavier than my weight at any given time. I tried fighting back through fad diets and spurts of gym memberships. A bit would go off and then it all came back suddenly.
I finally reached a point where I knew if I did not do something now, I am a goner. And so it came to making important decision.
- Get rid of food ordering apps on the phone. They make it easy to yield to the temptation of eating something that is not in your pantry, table, refrigerator or stove. What’s worse it was creating a bad example for my family. And it was creating bad habits for my children.
- Decide not to go on any fad diet. Rather control portions in keeping with my current weight and with a goal on the weight loss that I desire. I kept the goal low. I wanted to succeed by moving in the right direction rather than doing things radically. A 0.5 kg/week goal was good enough. I would have to restrict my calories to 500 less than what I need to maintain my current weight.
- I would incorporate movement. I will start by getting off my butt and back. Instead of lying down (which I did most of my free time), or sitting down (which I did most of the time at work), I will walk or stand as much as possible. My back has an injury. Standing or walking isn’t always easy. I keep stretching when needed (I’ve been at it for a week now).
- I informed my family. I need them in my corner.
- I downloaded MyFitnessPal app and am currently trying the premium version for a month. It has so far helped me keep an eye on my intake.
Calorie counting has been an eye opener concerning my old habits. Currently, I am not yet getting as much protein as I should get. And fatty food is easy to get. I am still working my best to make sure that the calorie-intake is quality over quantity. Making better choices.
Overall my problem was not as much as too much sugar or too much soda or that kind. It was just fatty food, and way too much carbs. Very little if any greens. And a lot of lying around or staying seated.
I have been working towards being healthy for a week now. I started on the 14 of July 2020. It was a Tuesday. Today is Wednesday, 22 July 2020. I am hoping to provide a weekly update each Wednesday of my journey.
Featured Image by Ilya Mashkov on Unsplash